A consultant, developer, writer and event organiser in open development with a particular interest in the enabling power of the union of open source, accessibility, web and mobile technologies.
My personal mission is to bring users, developers and others together through open development to create innovative and meaningful technology solutions using appropriate technologies and standards.
Experience of domains including accessibility, FE/HE education, financial products, development process tools and mobile communication systems.
A keen team player who thrives in a user/developer facing role solving real-world problems using creative, interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Co-founder and partner of OpenDirective bringing open development benefits to users and developers of projects including accessibility and assistive technology. Thus enabling innovative solutions for end users, their supporters, service providers and development companies. Developed and applied "Open Rating" to evaluate projects.
- Community member with Apache Wookie, Mozilla, GNOME, IAccessibile2 and other communities. Contracted for Mozilla and represented them at accessibility events including CSUN and RAatE.
- Consortium member of large FP7 EU project, Cloud4All, that is developing cloud-based infrastructure for automatic personalisation of devices for accessibility (GPII).
- Board member of Project:Possibility a non-profit with a mission to enthuse students to create innovative open source accessibility projects though weekend competitions (USA and Europe).
- Organiser of events including the ATSummit, TransferSummit Gadget Playtime (showcasing open hardware projects), OpenSource Junction (OSSWatch), Apache Barcamp Oxford and A11yHack days.
- Instigated and consulted on open innovation community pilot Realise. Co-developed Open Source Assistive Technology Software (OATS) portal www.oatsoft.org.
Created PowerTalk the program which narrates PowerPoint presentations in order solve a specific request for help.
- Community development enhancing open development in research projects for OSS Watch.
- Authoring technical articles including those published by OSS Watch, in Ability Magazine and personal blogs. Presentations at various accessibility and OS events.
- Developing solutions in a wide range of technologies by working with individuals and teams to determine their requirements and then designing and developing solutions using agile methods and rapid prototyping. Bringing many projects to a successful conclusion including: Improving FE college administration processes and MIS with an intranet, ID card system, Inland Revenue on-line filing,
UK features for Microsoft Money, live stocks feed for MSN (seconded to Microsoft in Redmond), Windows and X ports of
development tools, mission critical mobile data systems.
- Providing first class customer support, liaising with customers, development team and product support team to solve individual problems and eliminate reoccurring issues.
Expert Technical Knowledge
- Accessibility and assistive technologies infrastructure and tools on Mobile, Web, Microsoft Windows, Linux, Office tools and embedded.
- Software development processes including configuration management, version control, build, test suites and documentation.
- Internet/web client/server development including Ajax, web service etc.
- Relational Database design and development for web, rich clients and RDBMS, MySQL, SQLServer, Oracle.
- Protocols and communications especially open standards for internet, web, mobile and accessibility
||Co-founder and programme lead - open accessibility (opendirective.com
||Open development, open innovation and community engagement in open accessibility. Client strategy and business development
|Jan 2009-Jun 2011
||Advisor open development community for JISC funded (OSS Watch.
||Providing support services to FE/HE projects, including accessibility projects, running events, writing briefing notes.
|Feb 2007-Jun 2011
||Freelance Open Source Assistive Technology Developer, Web developer and technical author (fullmeasure.uk, schoolforge.org.uk & www.oatsoft.org).
||Promoting open source for users with disabilities and in education. Member of Mozilla and GNOME Accessibility teams. Developing Jambu assistive technology.
|Nov 2004\96Feb 2007
Exeter College of FE (www.exe-coll.ac.uk).
|Educational MIS: Providing ad-hoc reports to management and staff and developing a college-wide Intranet.
|Mar 2003\96Jun 2003
||Technical Support Manager
|Data systems: Lead role in solving customers\92 problems via phone & remote access. Analysis and liaising with development and support teams.
|Jan 1998\96Mar 2003
||Senior Software Engineer
Digita Ltd. (www.digita.com)
|Tax products and systems: Analysis/design UI, application, system, RDB & internet development, process improvement. Development for Microsoft & Inland Revenue
|Sep 1993-Jan 1998
||Senior Software Engineer
|Config managment products and services: UI and application development, training, technical support.
|Jun 1987-Jan 1993
Dowty Information Systems
|Bespoke Mobile data communications: real-time/embedded, graphics & UI development, network admin, development practices.
|Aug 1986-Jun 1987
||System Integration Engineer
STC, N. London
|Digital telecoms systems integration, test, hardware design and production eng.
Lion Systems Development
|Digital telecoms: Hardware/software development.
Other Relevant Experience
- Construction of electronics projects including computer and audio.
- Member of Association for the Advancement of Assistive Technology in Europe AAATE.
- Ran an 'introduction to computing' course with Age Concern as a response to age related exclusion from the web and raise awareness of open source and open accessibility solutions.
- Resolving requests for information and computer problems from people with disabilities as an IT Can Help (ITCH Network) volunteer.
- Enjoys swimming, running, cycling, walking and 'Monroe bagging'