OpenDirective LLP is dedicated to facilitating open innovation in accessibility and Assistive Technology software. OpenDirective is committed to identifying software products and opportunities that are approaching the chasm between early adopters and the early majority. We have a focus on exploratory technologies that stem from research or are developed for internal use. By facilitating open innovation through engagement with Open Source software, OpenDirective helps make companies more innovative, capable, and cost efficient, and projects reach more users,
What we do
We facilitate open innovation in software.
- We identify software products and opportunities that are reaching the chasm between the early adopters (the technology enthusiasts and visionaries) and the early majority (the pragmatists)
- We specialise in technologies that are not developed as a product in itself, they may be research projects or developed for internal use only
- Currently we focus on mobile related technologies and accessibility technologies, but our networks go much more broadly than this
- We identify companies who may be able to help projects cross the chasm
- We open innovation capacity in each potential partner
- We facilitate open innovation through engagement with open source software
- We help make companies more innovative, more capable and more cost efficient
Why we do it
- We have a wealth of experience working with projects, research and product teams.
- We are well connected and respected.
- We enjoy seeing what smart people can do when they find a way to work together.
Who we are
OpenDirective consists of two programme leads and a number of specialist partner organisations.
Steve Lee is Programme Lead for the Accessibile Technologies programme. Steve is a member of the accessibility community in Mozilla, GNOME and Ubuntu and has been engaged with open source for over ten years. For full details of Steve's experience see his LinkedIn Profile and Steve's CV.
Ross Gardler is Programme Lead for the Open Development programme. He is both a Member of the Board of Directors and Vice President of Community Development at The Apache Software Foundation and a mentor at the Outercurve Foundation. Ross has been active in open development of open source software for over ten years. For full details of Ross' experience see his LinkedIn Profile
OpenDirective emerged from Oxford University Computing Services who, since 2003 have hosted the open source advisory service to the UK Higher and Further Education sector, OSS Watch. OpenDirective builds on this experience to forge collaborations between the academic research sector and the product development work of the commercial sector.
Company No. OC370664
VAT registration No. 133 0388 40